Sunday, 13 December 2009 09:28
- 4 - 14 oz bags sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 - 14 oz cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbs heavy cream
- 1/2 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1/2 Tbs almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Pour 3 bags of coconut flakes into a mixer bowl. I work with a large KitchenAid stand mixer; if your mixer is smaller, you might want to consider cutting the recipe in half. You can also mix by hand with a strong spoon, in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the condensed milk, sour cream, cream, vanilla and almond on top of the coconut flakes. Turn the mixer to a slow speed.
- With the mixer running, slowly add the fourth bag of coconut flakes. If you start out with all 4 bags in the bowl, the paddle might throw some of the mix over the edge of the bowl.
- Mix until combined, a minute or so. when mixed well, scrape the paddle with a spatula and give the the batter a few turns to make sure all the ingredients are well distributed.
- Scoop out the macaroons and press together into balls about an inch and a half around. Place onto sheet pans lines with parchment paper lightly sprayed with cooking spray and slightly flatten balls.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes. The bottoms of the macaroons should be lightly caramelized.
- Once the macaroons are completely cool, dip the bottoms in melted chocolate if desired.
- Makes approximately 8 dozen bite sized cookies.