- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal or masarepa
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pan
- 8 ounces aged extra-sharp Cheddar, grated, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts, plus extra for garnish, 3 scallions
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter.
- With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don’t overmix!
- Mix in 2 cups of the grated Cheddar and the scallions, allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking pan.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar and extra chopped scallions.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.