Sunday, 16 September 2007 06:00
Makes 2 1/3 cups Biga:
- 3/4 cup plus 1 Tbs plus 1 tsp water - room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose four
Makes 3 1/2 cups Biga:
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 Tbs water - room temperature
- 3 3/4 cups unbleached all purpose four
- Stir the yeast into the warm water and let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining water then the flour, 1 cup at a time.
- Mix with a wooden spoon for 3 - 4 minutes
- Remove to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise at a cool room temperature for 6 - 24 hours.
- The starter will triple in volume and still be wet and sticky when ready.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When needed, scoop out desired amount.